common meals/frequency
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepivax.epi.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:42:33 -0600 (MDT)
At Monterey Cohousing (The Mansion) in Minneapolis
        (not Calif. - I'm considering lobbying to change the name)

we started out with 4 or 5 meals a week, when the 1st wave moved into the
mansion, no-one had more than a "pseudo-kitchen," my term (hot plate, bathroom
sink, microwave, etc).  Then we had  2-3 meals a week when the 2nd wave moved
in, more kids, more complex schedules to meet.  Then we had no common kitchen
during remodeling, but pot lucks at least once/week.

Now we are using a new system, 2 meals cooked per week and leftovers served on
Friday, with a rotation of 8 cooks with or without helpers as they choose (we
typically cook for 12-28, being a small community.

I think we (Americans) are just a lot busier than the Danes.  2-3 meals a week
seems fine to me - then I can plan other commitments around that, and also have
some quiet time.  (I hate to miss a meal when there is one).  That's my take.

Judy
I had  GREAT time at the conference!

-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
15 homes - 7 new townhomes plus
        8 coop apartments               in a rehab Georgian building
(built as a retirement home in 1924 -) which also serves as our Common House
Two (3 BR +) townhomes  for sale - see our web page
a SMALLER HOME (1 BR) will be available this fall, as two households combine,
date still uncertain
 web page: http://www.jimn.org/mococo/