voluntary financial contributions
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:56:41 -0700 (MST)
One idea we've started thinking about, for community finances in general,
which might be useful in other communities, is to institute a fund for
voluntary, anonymous contributions, with a mechanism for "awarding" money
from it. Could be usd to assist families in financial need, or to fund
something that not everyone feels is a priority or group expense, but
which would be nice to have. That way people who have more disposable
money don't have to be held back by the lowest common denominator of what
the least solvent can fairly put out.

Even without such a fund, we have already had situations where members
were invited to inform the Finance Committee if they were willing to
donate money for a given purpose. This is how we were able to donate two
lots to Habitat for Humanity (we had already counted on those lot sales
in our development budget, so couldn't even reduce their price tags, as a
group.)  Donations ranged from $10 to tens of thousands. The result of
this has been the inclusion of two young families with young children,
which we really wanted. There was no pressure to donate.

Note that this is a different issue from that of "what are valid
whole-group expenses?" Here, you find questions like to what degree
people with kids should fund kid stuff, ditto for gardeners, users of
sports or exercise equipment, users of the common house. That gets into
philosophical issues, and risks degenerating into nickle-and-diming.

We are trying to keep it all in the same pot, at least for gardening and
kids, so far. That feels more community minded.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing
Port Townsend WA
where we have several families lined up to buy our last two lots when
they go up for sale soon, and a couple of buyers in line for a resale lot