seniors/work
From: barbara keppel (71612.340compuserve.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 07:41:19 -0700 (MST)
Janet Carter asked about checklists/guidelines for preparing
individual homes for seniors.

When I visited 2 Seattle coho groups last year, I checked
specifically for mobility accessibility. The West Seattle group
had devised wonderful plans with every unit accessible; common
house also. The downtown group, on the other hand, planned many
units which are not accessible. A guest wishing to use a toilet
but not able to use stairs would have to return home or to the
common house.

It's not just my age that makes me check this stuff out. I've
ended up on crutches a couple of times and found stairs difficult
and tiring. And I have a friend who has no legs and often uses a
wheelchair. He's actually pretty swift on the stairs, but that's
exceptional; and he may not be able to do that when he's older.

Accessibility/aging aren't just about movement impairment. Those
of us who are hard of hearing would like a portable mike used
during meetings. If it's included in the plans, then it will
always be available. My mother had  very acute hearing when she
was 86; my brother's required hearing aids in his 40s.

My legally blind friends appreciate large print, high contrast,
bright lights, and (sometimes) braille alternatives for labels.
Most of these could be planned into most common house areas.

Just for the record, my 95 year old neighbor has just given up
driving. She hasn't given up her 3rd floor walk up apt. These
Mainiacs are tough.

BobBI Keppel

  • seniors/work JCarter12, January 2 2000
    • seniors/work barbara keppel, January 4 2000