ADA and similar planning for diverse needs
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:12:40 -0700 (MST)
Call your local planning and building department (the code-compliance
folks), and they should be glad to copy off for you the several pages on
bathrooms and entrances, etc. Architects also typically have books of
this information.

Essentials:
Doorway width. 36" is ideal, 32" acceptable (check on 30"). (Here's one
we overlooked at first:) Also needs a certain clearance to the side of
the doorknob, so a wheelchair user can get in position to use the
doorknob.

Lavatory- needs a 5' diameter "turning circle" clear on the floor.
Allowed to overlap (12" I think) with the door swing trajectory. Certain
small overlap with toilet bowl and wash basin. Basically, this translates
into a 6'x8' bathroom floor, if you have a toilet, wash basin, and
in-swinging door.

Grab bars in toilet corner. Additional requirements if you have a shower.

Sink catalogues have listings of sinks which can be used with the
required clearances for undersink space. The Kohler Farmington model is
an example of a residential model (ie moderately priced) which can be
used. Faucet handles can be the big "wrist-blade" type, but other
right-angle type handles also qualify--- again, the plumbing
manufacturers often have items coded for ADA compliance.

Entries: Need level approach or acceptable ramping. At least one entry on
our CH had to meet this criterion, but not all of them. Not that you
mightn't want them all to comply.

Other thoughts, while not necessarily prescribed by codes:
Think of visual and hearing disabilities, as well as hearing
disabilities. Avoid tripping hazards, for those with impaired vision, and
also have enough light for those who need more, in general.
For hearing, and for general purposes, put money and thought into
acoustics, especially in the dining room. Consider built-in wiring for
speakers, microphones, etc.
Allergies are another consideration. We decided on a built-in vacuum
system, for several reasons, including allergens. Choice of building and
finishing materials has allergy impacts, too.

Think too of people who are very tall or very short. A lower counter or
island in the kitchen prep area. Step stools. Big heavy people-- some
sturdy, broad, seating.

More subtle yet, but a factor for many people, is the impact of sound and
light. Avoid commercial refrigeration, which is often regretted for its
noisiness in common houses. Consciously choose models of exhaust fans,
heating fans, dimmer switches, fluorescent fixtures, and other items
which give acceptable background noise levels. Timer switches are another
item which can make such noise. (Can you tell, I am one who is really
sensitive to this stuff? But it can be controlled-- my house is really
quiet.)

Think about light glare. Exterior fixtures should be installed and shaded
in ways that keep the light going downward, and not shining in neighbors'
eyes. Interior lights can also glare to neighbors, unless there is some
shading or window shades.

Thinking ahead on matters like this allows it to be handled in the
initial construction, which is much easier than trying to retrofit
solutions.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing
Port Townsend WA
the "detail queen" of our on-going CH construction