7 major group dysfunctions
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousemail.msn.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:28:54 -0700 (MST)
Cheryl asked what are the 7 major group dysfunctions. There are actually
lots more than 7, but here is my current list of what I see most commonly in
the groups I teach in these days. Your mileage may vary. Overarching all of
these is lack of trained, dedicated  facilitation. It is that lack, which
causes all the problems below. (But then again, I am a teacher of
facilitators, so of course I would have that perspective)

1. No process to deal effectively with issues/problems
2. Avoiding saying no, saying yes easily, but never following through
3. Lack of group accepted ground rules
4. No intervention on ground rules and behaviors
5. Not enough positive reinforcement
6. overstating negatives and fears out of proportion to reality
7. Limited/lack of examination/review of process and outcomes

Rob Sandelin
Northwest Intentional Communities Association