Communities Mag. - Call for Submissions
From: Daniel Greenberg (danielic.org)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:11:33 -0700 (MST)
Dear Friends,

Hello!  I am writing to you about the Fall 2000 issue of Communities
Magazine, which will be on the topic of "Educating About Community".
I have agreed to guest edit this issue and would like to ask for your
assistance in gathering appropriate articles and resources.

My vision for this issue is somewhat unique. In addition to articles
related to this theme, I hope to gather and present information and
resources that will be valuable to anyone interested in learning or
teaching about community.  For example, we might create an annotated
bibliography of educational resources or a list of college courses
related to community. It might even be possible to create a chart and
resource section like the ones in Communities Directory, but focusing
on educational opportunities within and about community. If this
catches on, regular updates could also be published in the magazine.

My hope is that this resource guide will be useful to a variety of audiences:

  o COMMUNITY SEEKERS who want to learn more about community in general or
     perhaps about one community in particular;
  o COMMUNITY MEMBERS who might like to develop their own educational programs;
  o COLLEGE STUDENTS who would like to study community as part of their
     academic career; and
  o EDUCATORS who might want to create or enhance a course about community.

To make this work, I would like to ask you to take a few moments to
write down and send me any information that you are aware of in the
following categories:

  o COMMUNITIES that offer educational &/or apprenticeship/internship programs
  o EDUCATION PROGRAMS outside of but related to community (e.g., study
     groups, workshops)
  o COLLEGE COURSES related to community (contact info would be very helpful)
  o OTHER RESOURCES that would be helpful to someone trying to learn or teach
     about community (e.g., group exercises, books and videos, curriculum)

If you prefer, I would also be happy to call you to discuss leads. Thank you!!

And of course, I am also soliciting submissions for this issue.  I
would like to include a variety of perspectives on the topic of
educating about community including:

  o COMMUNITIES - What programs do you offer? Why? What have you learned?
  o EDUCATORS - What have you tried? What works? What doesn't?
  o PARTICIPANTS - What did you learn?  How did it differ from other learning
     experiences?

In addition to articles, I am also looking for relevant interviews,
short anecdotes, poems, photographs, and artwork that could enhance
this issue. My goal is to receive all submission inquiries by
February 29 (you get an extra day this year!) and all completed
articles by April 30. Article length is 750-2,500 words and shorter
submissions can be used as side bars. Writer's Guidelines will be
sent in response to submission of ideas.

Please know that we may edit, shorten, not use your article, or save
it for a future issue. So while we actively seek your contribution,
we need to let you know that publication is not a sure thing. Each
chosen author will receive either a year-long subscription to the
magazine or four copies of the Fall 2000 issue. If you send us an
article that we don't end up using, we will still send you a
complimentary copy of the issue as a thank you.

This issue will really need help from a lot of people to succeed.
Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.  And
please feel free to pass this message on to anyone you feel might be
interested.  Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you.

In community,

Daniel Greenberg

  Daniel Greenberg, Ph.D. |  Living Routes - Ecovillage Education Consortium
  email: daniel [at] ic.org    |  c/o Sirius, 72 Baker Rd., Shutesbury, MA
01072
  phone: (413) 259-1199   |  http://www.LivingRoutes.org; Tel:(888)
515-7333