Re: Common House Fireplaces
From: PattyMara (PattyMaraaol.com)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:50:52 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 3/28/00 2:07:48 PM !!!First Boot!!!, jabrams [at]
vineyard.net
writes:

<< Do many of you have fireplaces in your common houses?  Are they used
 and appreciated or, if you don't have, do you wish you did?  >>

At Tierra Nueva, Cen. CA Coast, we have two.  A gas Jotul in the dining room,
used often at dinners when it is cold, because it turns on with the flick of
a switch.   We also have a wood burning Jotul, small firebox with a cook
plate on top, in the sitting room/library, used infrequently, because of the
work involved in wood/kindling and cleanup.  We have a third, called a
chiminea, a terra cotta  wood burning firepot out on the second story deck,
which is used very frequently.  It is probably our most popular gathering
spot for cocktails or late night circles.

Also, we live in such a temperate climate that a roaring fire just isn't
needed most nights.  In a location with cold winters I suspect a fireplace
would be used much more often, wood burning or gas.

The fireplaces in our common house are appreciated, but in hindsight I would
skip on the wood burner in the sitting room, based on its infrequent use.  By
the way, I have lived with wood burning fireplaces for the past 20 years.
This is the first house we've had without one.  I miss it.  We supplement
with two chimineas of our own, one on the porch, and one on the upstairs
deck.  The old saw that says amenities in the common house will take the
place of having them in your own home doesn't work for me with fireplaces.
Guest rooms, yes.

Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva, cen CA coast