Re: Re: private vs public space
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:46:01 -0700 (MST)

----------

> Julie Mazo asks questions about who has control of what happens on the
> land, where.
At Southside Park Cohousing, some lots have back yards, which are fenced
off, mostly by short fences between cohousers' yards and tall fences between
our land and neighbors' land. This is the usual case in California, so it
blends in. Those of us with back yards paid extra for the space, though
technically all the land is owned in common. This is entirely private space.
The areas between the front of the houses and the sidewalk are considered
semi-private, and are maintained by the individual owner, but are not off
limits for play or whatever. The rest of the space is entirely common area,
and is maintained by the group.

Anyone who wants to do something with their private area (No, not THAT
private area)can do whatever they wish, as long as they consult the group
about putting in any structures. If people want to do something other than
the usual landscaping to a semi-private area(for instance, installing an
arbor or removing a tree), they need to ask permission of the group.
Decisions about common areas are all made by committee or consensus,
depending on the size of the project.

Our system works well. Those of us who wanted private space have it. Paying
for the privilege avoided conflict over control of the space. And we have
common areas that are at least acceptable to everyone. Gardens are in public
areas, maintained by those interested in gardening, and the whole group
often eats the fruits of their labor at common house meals.

IMO, if you don't feel that you have enough privacy, you're going to end up
resentful. We don't have separate lots, but we all have plenty of privacy.
It seems to me that everyone needs at least a little space around their home
to feel that there is enough of a buffer.