affordable cohousing and community land trusts
From: Philip W. Bush (Philip.W.BushDartmouth.EDU)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:01:01 -0600 (MDT)
--- Amanda wrote:
What have folks out there done to try to make their cohousing communities
affordable to a wide range
of incomes?
--- end of quote ---
Amanda,
At Cobb Hill in VT we made a few units affordable by subsidy (3, it turns out),
when it became clear that we couldn't keep overall costs affordable. This was
accomplished by work with a state agency (Vermont Housing Conservation Board
-VHCB) and local land trust (Upper Valley Land Trust-UVLT), and two very
generous private donors building on the agency contributions.

We own about 280 acres of ag and forest land.  We sold the development rights
to UVLT, which used a $120,000 grant from VHCB for the purchase.  VHCB was
generous because they liked it that we use the conservation funds for
affordable meeting both parts of their own mission -- housing and conservation
-- in one transaction, apparently a rarity.  VHCB added another $20,000 per
unit from their affordable housing funds for each household/unit that met a
<85% median family income requirement.  For a number of reasons too complex to
go into it looks like we will have one such unit, so $140,000 total from
VHCB/UVLT.

Two private donors added another $220,000 to the affordable housing fund.  It
takes all $360,000 to bring just three units to affordable prices.  We
recognize that we will need to make these units affordable over time, also, by
discounts on monthly operating fees, for example.

Most of this work was done by Donella Meadows before her untimely death in
February.  She cared very much about making some units at Cobb Hill affordable.
 Clearly her national reputation and contacts were as important as her hard
work in pulling this off.  The combination of rural land to protect for $, a
state agency interested in both housing and conservation, and the fund raising
ability of someone like Dana is a unique combination that can't be replicated
everywhere.  Maybe pieces can be.  Probably a generalization is that something
can be done with hard work, creativity, and asking the right people.

Phil Bush
Cobb Hill
Hartland, VT
see houses going up now on the snowy, muddy hillside at:
http://sustainer.org/cobbhill/homes.html
home page:
http://sustainer.org/cobbhill/