Re: Thanks and a question about members swapping available units
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:03:02 -0600 (MDT)
> One family has just decided to drop out, and their unit is now available for
> sale, and two other households have expressed interest in switching to that
> unit. We're having a problem formulating a way that is fair for people to
> change units if 2 households want the same unit.

At Takoma Village, before move-in, this happened several times and was
resolved by membership order. The one who paid their deposits first, had
first choice. We made most of the difficult decisions this way.

After move-in we haven't been faced with anything like this but people are
less willing to use the same membership order. We were able to work out
compromises on some mortgage and basement space issues. The parties involved
did the resolving with help from the legal, finance, and administration
teams.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org