lawyer selection
From: C2pattee (C2patteeaol.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:49:02 -0600 (MDT)
Greater Hartford Cohousing recently selected a lawyer to guide us through the
formation of our LLC-the organizational structure that was recommended to us
for purchase of land and residential construction.  Initially, we were going
to go the 'boiler plate' route, filling out the state of Connecticut form,
then having a lawyer familiar with LLCs and house closings look it over and
submit it for us.

However, we soon realized the content of the document was not just boiler
plate, but the fundamental agreement that legally bound us together, as it
specifies how we will collect money, and return it if things don't work out
for an individual or a group.  Furthermore, the first lawyer we contacted,
after saying she could do the boilerplate for $300, changed her mind after
realizing she didn't understand enough about cohousing.  (A very responsible
decision, I thought.)  She gave us the names of three lawyers better versed
in real estate law.  It turns out you need someone knowledgeable about
'community association' law and real estate development.  Looking in the
Yellow Pages under 'real estate' (we were flying pretty blind ), I saw
something called the Community Law Association, and they were able to give me
some more names.

We have a four person Professional Hiring Committee to make the final
decision on whom to hire, but I phone interviewed all the names on the list
before deciding whom to interview.  We started with the guru of community
housing law in CT, who gave me a useful (and free) overview of issues we'd
have to deal with - then estimated it would cost us $100,000 at his company's
rates to do what we needed to have done.  Suffice it to say that we didn't
interview him in person.  Incidentally, you shouldn't have to pay a lawyer to
interview him/her.

We ended up with a woman lawyer who has lots of experience in community
associations and real estate development, AND is very excited about the whole
idea of cohousing.  She's already done reading and Internet research on her
own.  She is charging us by the task, rather than hourly.  The group's job
now is to answer a list of content questions she gave us, and then she'll
draft the document.

All the lawyers told us it would be simpler and cheaper to work from other
coho documents.  I was able to get several sets from cohousing groups that
generously made them available on the Net.  I have them in a neat little
Bylaws file, which I'd be happy to pass on to anyone who emails me off list.

You ask "The first question I have is about how important it is for the
general =
group to be involved in the final stage of interviews with lawyers? My =
fellow committee members don't want to make the process any more =
complicated than it needs to be and wonder whether it would be adequate =
for the committee to make the decision. I feel that we should get a =
better feeling for how the lawyer will be working with a group, so =
should put him/her in that situation immediately and see how he/she =
handles it.=20

I strongly recommend that you NOT have the whole group interview or work with
the lawyer.  It will be wasteful of their time and your money, and probably
not very productive.  Legal issues, though important, are MEGO (my eyes glaze
over) for most people.  Also, even a lawyer enthusiastic about the concept of
cohousing is probably a lot less interested in 'group process'.

Christine Pattee
Greater Hartford Connecticut Cohousing
c2pattee [at] aol.com