Re: Energy saving insulation
From: steve boylan (boylanworld.std.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:49:01 -0600 (MDT)
Sharon,

You asked:

> > For those of you getting ready to build, you may be interested in a
new
> > kind of insulation which I had put in my new house in Liberty Village.
> > It is called Icynene, and is sprayed in as a liquid, then puffs right
up
> > into a foam that seals every nook and cranny. ...
> > You can find information on it in the mid-Atlantic states at
> > www.thermalsealexperts.com or at Icynene.com.
>
> Is this something that can be added after construction is complete. We
> are still having sound transmission problems -- can you do one wall? Or a
> ceiling?

According to their Web site, you can use Icynene to "retrofit" into an
existing building.  The insulation is piped as a liquid into holes in the
walls, and expands in place.  The URL for their brochure on retrofitting
is:

        http://www.icynene.com/pdf/olhousebroch.pdf

> What happens if you have to get to the pipes or wiring?

Ah, now THAT sounds like a challenge!  The manufacturer recommends
"boxing" pipes so they aren't buried in the insulation.  (This is less of
an issue in New England;  locating pipes in an exterior wall when outside
temperatures can hit -10 F is not the smartest thing to do!)  But anything
buried in foamed-in-place insulation is going to STAY there.

                                - - Steve