Re: Re: Conservative towns and the success (or not) of cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 06:57:01 -0700 (MST)
> I have a question for anybody that has worked hard to bring a cohousing
> community into a conservative area.

I can't say I worked terribly hard because I was new and didn't know what to
do first but my first effort was in Manhattan. While there were people who
wanted to be "on a list", the task of confronting the construction trades
and the city was overwhelming.

My first thought was that New York City was a natural because there were so
many cooperatively owned buildings that that would not be a barrier . There
are also bartering systems and babysitting clubs, etc. So it wasn't the
concept -- it was the rules, laws, expense, etc.

You had to be a construction pro to do it. Only someone like Donald Trump
can jump the hoops and pay the money. But if they did, you could build
communities all day in that small geographic area.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org
Where we passed our one year move-in anniversary this week!