RE: Communal houses
From: Forbes Jan (jan.forbesdhhs.tas.gov.au)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 23:10:01 -0700 (MST)
Does anyone on cohousing-l live in or know of communities with communal
houses comprising fully self-contained studio units and common areas like
kitchen, living room and laundry, all under the one roof?  If so, I would be
interested in hearing details such as: size, who lives there and how it
works in practice.

A group here in Hobart have suggested having a communal house for youth, in
particular as a place for adolescent children of residents to live.  The
group is aware of communal houses for youth in Denmark but the system here
is different, more like the US, and I'm unsure whether such a model would
work well here.

Jan Forbes
Housing Analyst
Housing Tasmania