Re: Sociocracy (elections)
From: Tree Bressen (treeic.org)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 00:35:01 -0700 (MST)
>> >3) Each equity member writes on a scrap of paper, "Sheila recommends
>Bob,"
>> >or whatever.
>>
>> Can you recommend more than one person?
>
>No. What benefit might there be to that? Are you thinking that it might be
>easier to get a sense for who will meet with no objection if people can
>nominate more than one person?

I'm thinking that chances are there will be several good possibilities for
a position that comes open and it would be nice to be able to say "i
recommend A, B or C" rather than narrow it down to only one person.

>> >    As each vote is read, the voter is asked to give a rationale for his
>or
>> >her vote.
>>
>> I love the openness of this.  Yet i also wonder if you lose out on
>> important information because people are scared to say what they really
>> think in front of each other?
>
>Perhaps. I'm not sure how else the information might be given to the group.
>If people are scared to say what they really think in front of each other,
>how might a secret vote solve that problem?

Secret voting doesn't solve the problem of people's fear, it accommodates
it in the interest of getting the information.  I'm not saying i'm
particularly supportive of it, in general i strongly prefer more openness.
But i recognize that many Americans are accustomed to secret ballots and
confidentiality under a wide variety of circumstances, healthy or not.

>> Wow!  Very different.  Facilitators in consensus are *especially* never
>> supposed to facilitate their own proposals.

>Very interesting point. Hmm. I've asked the newly formed sociocracy
>listserv. Are you on that list?

No, i already get so much email, i'm very cautious about joining new lists.

Cheers,

--Tree