Authenticity
From: Maggie (mduttonshaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:43:01 -0700 (MST)
Warmest Greetings Cohousing Family:)
This is Maggie Dutton checking in from The Homes Project in Calgary, Canada.
Reading George's last comment and the one before about what to do about
inequities in work shares, brought to mind how often it is difficult for us
to be in touch with, & real about who we really are.  Our group recently
looked at our Values and Principals statement and noticed items there that
were more reflective of 4 people's input who are no longer involved.  There
were also several items that we now want to include that we have since come
to value.  It is only a year ago that we created the first version, so it
seems like values should be revisited regularly to accurately reflect the
present.  Perhaps asking this question would help to determine if each value
is authentic...."How do we demonstrate that we value this?"
As far as people doing their share.  We once did a time and motion type
analysis of how long tasks take and what the total amount of time needed was
for all requirements.  Totaled it all up and divided it up.  Those who were
unable for any reason to do their share either enlisted a substitute
volunteer or bought their way out.  What we found was that most people had
no idea what their share would really amount to?  Once they did they were
willing to choose which tasks they were willing to do.  This method did work
fairly well.  Ever wonder what it would be like if everyone did more than
their share?  Isn't valuing community about more than keeping exact track of
how much people do?  My approach in life is not to do anything I don't want
to do.  There are lots of things I enjoy doing and want to do so I know that
I do more than my share often.  I also don't know when I may need others to
help with my share if I am ill.  If I didn't think I was going to be able to
do my share I don't think I would consider cohousing.  Maybe some people
wonder why they did if it seems like too much work and not enough party.  I
love Laura's thinking about recognizing and celebrating the efforts of
others.
Oh...and I still wish I could understand what went wrong for George at
Songaia, from Songaia's point of view?  Did they learn anything from the
experience with George?