Mental illness - circle helped
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:34:00 -0600 (MDT)
The one person I am aware of in our community who is on medications for
depression/bipolar conditions is in fact one of our most contributing
members. They are on several committees and cook and participate in many
ways. And we know that sometimes this person is "unavailable" for
socializing or work.

What really helps is that we know about this person's challenges, because
we had a sharing circle some years back, and quite a few of us attended,
and the topic was health matters (physical and mental). Those who wished
to, shared about challenges they had to contend with, and helped the rest
of us know how we could best be supportive. "Don't take it personally if
I say I have to end a conversation soon - I have chronic fatigue and have
to be careful of my energy levels." "When my medication isn't working
right, I may..." "I'm fine but have a terror of hospitals- if I get taken
to a hospital, please keep me company." Others expressed support and
care. I knew that one member had had cancer and worried about him, but
learned it had apparently been cured.

This circle was part of a three-part series. I was away for the other
meetings, but they were also well attended and appreciated. I know the
last one was about death and dying and how different members felt about
it.

When a person is diagnosed, there is a handle on it. I think we are more
challenged by the fact that cohousing attracts leader types, problem
solvers who know their way is great, as well as those whose high need for
control includes orchestrating a whole community. For "us" to work
together in consensus is one of those great Opportunities for Learning
and Growing, but not always smooth.

I also am concerned that as we age, more and more of us will be
rationally-challenged and may wreak havoc in a system which relies rather
much on common sense and the greater good. I personally consider
cohousing as my senility insurance, or at least my senility indicator: if
all the rest of these fine people agree that I'm not making sense, I've
promised myself I'll believe them!

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com