Re: Racial diversity and cohousing
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:47:01 -0600 (MDT)
Living in "The most diverse city in the nation" (quote from a recent article
about Sacramento-was it Time magazine??), I have a perspective on this that
might help.

The original reason I decided to stay in Sacto (we were transferred here),
is that I felt a comfort in the diverse central city neighborhoods that I
never felt anywhere else. I didn't get that vibe that I got in SF. The one
where someone stares you down on the bus because you're white, or female, or
straight, or whatever they don't like about your outward appearance. Don't
let a reputation for liberalism fool you. There's plenty of racial tension
in SF, as well as most other cities I've been in, despite the diversity.
Just because there are lots of different color (and whatever else) people,
doesn't mean they like it that way.

And just because your cohousing community ends up being mostly white,
doesn't mean you have to be an island. I'm proud to live alongside of some
of the most intense neighborhood activists in this city, or anywhere. People
in my cohousing community have been instrumental in getting a community
center built and getting it staffed, as well as a new community garden going
in two blocks away, amongst numerous other neighborhood events.

We are accepted members of the larger community, because of the sincere
efforts of the residents to be a part of it, in all its messiness and
politics. Why should our neighbors have to live in cohousing to be our
neighbors? You can have it both ways, have cohousing and ethnic diversity,
if you choose a location that permits it. If you want to be involved.

I wouldn't want to be accepted into a cohousing group just because of my
color, and that's what you're talking about. Get people into your group
because they are going to be contributing members of the community, not
because you don't want anyone to think you're a racist because you don't
have any black people in your group.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing