RE: meal administration
From: Casey Morrigan (cjmorrpacbell.net)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:52:03 -0700 (MST)
Having visited Rosewind courtesy of Lynn hosting us, I am imagining the flow
of meals, having seen their great looking common house and having
experienced "coho kitchen envy" in viewing their beautifully designed and
equipped kitchen.  When we visited in the summer of 2001 (I think??), the
kitchen had recently been completed and was awaiting inauguration.  Sounds
like you've done well!

Talk about how design makes a difference. I've been following the thread
with interest regarding design and intention in forming community.  I have
something to add.  Kitchen design and equipment helps with cooking common
meals.  I have such a tough time prepping meals in our small and not
well-designed kitchen.  I'd be motivated to cook more "if only" - if the
right equipment were installed, if the prep areas were set up better, if, if
if.    Yet, again, as Rosewind can attest, you don't need a kitchen to share
meals.

In our meals system, we have a meal accountant and a "pass-through" account
for dealing with meals (it's on the HOA books as a service to the HOA but
it's not technically HOA income or operating money).   Cooks buy stuff and
get reimbursed by check or credit.  People eat and are charged whatever it
cost to cook that meal.  We hold out a dollar per month per adult for
staples and spices.  Cooks calculate the price per person of a meal using
our handy dandy, all-in-one, meal notification, sign-up and price
calculation sheet, and the meal accountant uses the sheet to know who ate
and how much to deduct from each individual's meal account.  We prepay into
the meal account, and keep it up to date by putting in money from time to
time - the meal accountant posts our balances monthly and will send out a
reminder if households go into the red.

Meals are usually around $3 or $4 per adult, but we have ranged from a low
of $1.50 to the record of $10 for a meat-based gourmet multi-course meal.

Casey Morrigan
Two Acre Wood
Sebastopol, California