Re: cultural/racial diversity
From: aamato (aamatoworldbank.org)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:34:16 -0700 (MST)

We live in a city that is majority (72%) non-white (or majority "minority" so to
speak) .  Our surrounding neighborhood is about 65% black, 30% white, and the
remaining is a bit of everything.  We actively recruited in the Black community
and we probably have one of the highest number of non-white residents in
cohousing, though it is still quite low given the context:
-a bi-racial (black-white family)
-3 single black households
-a couple where wife is Hispanic
-an adopted East Asian girl
-3 adopted Black boys
-1 South Asian room mate
-1 Black room mate
In addition, 3 members have older adopted children or grandchildren not
permanently living here who are non-white.

I was thinking that if cohousing could have a higher ratio of diversity anywhere
it would be here for demographic reasons, especially since the Black middle
class is so well represented in Washington, but it still doesn't.  I think this
cohousing thing is still a white phenomenon for various cultural and social
reasons (most of which have been expounded upon on this listserve before).  But,
I think it will change over time.

Anna Amato
Takoma Village
Washington, DC