Re: Individual versus group needs and wants
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:14:03 -0700 (MST)
Linda Scott, Cascadia Commons Cohousing LScottr2go [at] aol.com
is the author of the message below.
   http://csf.colorado.edu/cohousing/2001/msg01672.html

In a message dated 2/11/2003 5:08:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
garykent [at] uniserve.com writes:

> How about a group member who sounds like a broken record - same thing over
> and over again.  Things are complicated by the member not having a terrific
> memory for facts, resorting to hyperbolic language and often being out of
> the information loop  (not on e-mail) by choice.  I'm sure someone will tell
> me that the reason this is continuing to happen must be because the person
> obviously has not REALLY been heard, not listened to with respect etc.,

I do have a recommendation.  Try to get Laird, the Communities mag guy, in to
show you what great facilitation looks like.  That will help everybody's
feeling of frustration and hoplessness about the process.  He came to our
community recently, asked to facilitate a meeting about our most difficult
issue, and it was a revelation to me.  I studied part of a Master's in
conflict resolution and took a college course in facilitation.  I've been
doing cohousing, starting with the land search, for 7 or 8 years now, seen
lots of consultants, lots of facilitation.  Seeing Laird work was a thrill;
it got me excited about the possibilities again.  It was like seeing a really
great orchestra conductor; getting everybody's best music out and making it
harmonize.  The truth is we don't have any great conductors in our group, but
seeing what really terrific facilitation can do gave me hope.  Maybe we can,
with time, grow our own.

 Linda Scott, Cascadia Commons Cohousing