Re: Fifty Plus Cohousing
From: racheli (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:24:02 -0700 (MST)
Let's not assume that everyone over 50 wants to avoid
children, or wants to be around them only in small doses.
John and I moved to cohousing with clear hope
that there would be lots of kids around, and that this is
one of the fun things we are looking forward to.
We enjoy many of the kids here, and see messiness and
such as a small and relatively insignificant price to pay.

Having said that, if older people want to adopt some of
cohousing principles while segregating themselves - it certainly isn't up
to me to tell them what to do. If it works for them, that's fine.  In
fact, if that's what they really want, I'd rather they did that, instead
of joining a mixed community and making efforts to impose their way on
everyone else.  (This doesn't mean that everyone has to think about how
kids should be
treated in exactly the same way, or that different points of view
shouldn't be accommodated).
I don't think, BTW, that the prejudice between older people
and younger people is a one way thing.  Many older people
I meet have quite rigid views regarding how things should
be done; how people should talk and behave, etc. - This doesn't help open
the way towards rich and rewarding relationships
with those who feel judged.

R.