Re: Passive cooling/Tucson
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 08:18:01 -0600 (MDT)
>From Racheli in Tucson.

I know very very few people who live in Tucson without
the assistance of (at least) evaporative cooling (that
is: among those who can afford to pay for cooling.  I'm
sure there are poor people who swelter because they don't
have a choice).  Relying completely on passive cooling means
you need to be able to bear real hot indoor climate in the
summer - hotter than most of us can bear.  (This is because
in mid-summer the temperatures stay high even at night).
Evaporative cooling works very well for part of the hot
season, but in July-August the weather here gets humid,
and we get "monsoons" - which render the evaporative
cooling fairly ineffective.
In Sonora Cohousing we chose to have air-conditioning.  This
is because we couldn't install two systems per house, and
some people have health problems with evaporative cooling.

In a cooling climate, a major way to help cut on cooling bills is by
sizing the windows appropriately; by having large overhangs and placing
the windows in the right places (in terms of orientation, as well as
sufficiently close to the overhangs). These last things have not been done
quite right, so we use more energy for cooling than would have been
necessary otherwise. Using plants to shade is helpful, but isn't
applicable for second floor windows.  (Well, perhaps eventually my vines
will reach that height :))
R.