Re: common house cookbook?
From: ann (annslac.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:45:10 -0600 (MDT)

You're right, it's not so easy to find a good substitute cheese...and some of those that work pretty well contain casein, which is an animal product. I think that what you've heard is true: it's only good hot; it gets lumpy when cold. It is pretty good hot, though.

There are other protein sources that might make better leftover vegan lasagna. I've had *very* good luck using Yves Veggie Ground Round in tomato-based pasta sauces--lots of protein, and makes something similar enough to a meat sauce that omnivores don't seem to notice...esp if you sautee it with onions and mushrooms first. A combination of Italian spices, salt, garlic, fine breadcrumbs, creamed tofu, lemon juice, and olive oil can work well if you need a creamy layer, though it will not melt. Sometimes I think that for vegan cooking, it makes more sense to celebrate what you are using rather than to substitute for what's "missing"...making sure that the vegetable components are really nicely done (fresh, maybe marinated, maybe grilled) makes a big difference. That is, maybe lasagna does not *have* to be cheesy (blasphemy, yes).