Re: Pond Safety
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:48:10 -0700 (MST)
There is a theory about danger being less dangerous when it is apparent. The park over the freeway in Seattle, which was completed in 1976 was originally suppose to have child proof barriers around all the water features. The landscape architect convinced the parks department that these water feature would be safe if the danger was real and apparent. He won the argument. I have heard of no serious accidents in this park, even though there are some serious open water falls and ponds. It is interesting to watch young children explore it the first time.

We have a 10,000 sf shallow drainage pond next door to where we live and there are 29 children in our neighborhood. So far, there have been no problems, partly, I think, because the sides/banks are gradual enough that a child can scramble out if they fall in.

Chris ScottHanson