Re: Car Sharing
From: Tree Bressen (treeic.org)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:56:38 -0800 (PST)
Dear Larry,

I¹m a  member of a cohousing community which which is currently under
construction in Nevada City, CA. We¹ll move in in the late summer and fall
of this year. We are interested in information about sharing vehicles.  Have
any of the communities out there purchased vehicles as a group? Are there
small groups of people who are formally sharing vehicles?

We are specifically interested in:
* how vehicles are owned and insured.
* Has anyone formed an LLC or something to own vehicles? Would that be
appropriate?
* how do people pay for use?

I am part of a car co-op here in Eugene originally started by a collection of current & former members from several intentional communities around town. We have 9 drivers and 1 car, which we run on biodiesel. We formed a cooperative corporation to hold title, and we have insurance through a regular company. Each of us pays a $400 buy-in (refundable if a member leaves and has their share purchased by an incoming member), $20/month for insurance, and 30 cents/mile including fuel. Since we are scattered across town, we sign out the car using our website. See more info at biocarshare.org.

Cheers,

--Tree

Tree Bressen
1680 Walnut St.