EMERGENCY INTERNATIONAL VIGIL: Solidarity with Mukhtaran Bibi, Sexual Assualt Victim, Imprisoned, While Her Tormentors Are Freed
From: abwwrpeace (abwwrpeaceriseup.net)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
TITLE: EMERGENCY INTERNATIONAL VIGIL: Solidarity with Mukhtaran Bibi,
Sexual Assualt Victim, Imprisoned, While Her Tormentors Are Freed

Dear friends nearby, friends from outside the country, and friends we've
never met,

Currently, we have an emergency, International vigil that will happen on
June 23. Members of A Better World Is Within Reach Peace Network and all
members of the public are invited to attend.  We will have a peace vigil
at 6pm at the Portland Federal building located on SW 3rd, between Madison
and Jefferson.

The vigil is due to the below crisis described in the below article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/14/opinion/14kristof.html?ex=1119499200&en=09e89c75ebac481b&ei=5070&emc=eta1

The printable pdf version of the news report is here:
http://4anaa.org/projects/ny-times.pdf

The printable pdf version of the entire case is here:
http://4anaa.org/projects/Case%20Summary.pdf

PLEASE print out as many copies of the case report and the new summary as
you can so we can distribute it to people.  This issue must gain more
media attention, even if it is on a grassroots level.

The situation has gotten so far out of hand that they have now permitted
the Rapists to go free, placing Mukhtaran's life in danger, placed the
victim, Mukhtaran, under House arrest, taken away her passport and placed
her on the Exit control list(ECL) so she can't leave the country.

We will hold this peace vigil in solidarity with the Asian-American
Network Against Abuse of Women (ANAA) as they hold their WASHINGTON DC
Protest Rally on Thursday, 23rd June 2005.

You can read more here: http://4anaa.org/projects/mukhtaran-mai.htm

If you think that the subject matter is not too mature for your family, we
ask that you bring all your family members. We will simply read the news
reports and hold candles from 6pm to 8pm. People with foreign language
skills are needed.

Love for the people,

Volunteer

The International, Multicultural, Multiracial, Peace
Movement Headquarters: Networking For Peace Multicultural
Cohousing Resource Neighborhood
http://www.abwwrpeace.org