Governing & Architectural Review [was Architectural Review]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 06:21:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 11, 2005, at 1:11 AM, OCC11NG wrote:

"governing board" sends shivers of revulsion throughout our membership.

I shared this feeling until I recently (too recently) discovered that "to govern" means "to steer". The origin of the word is in steering ships. A captain governs a vessel, means the captain steers it into harbor, etc.

Inherent in steering is the concept of finding out what works, avoiding danger, moving slowly (or quickly) but safely through troubled waters, keeping a watch over forward movement, etc.

A good governing board should be like a captain, not the Gestapo.

Good governance also requires a clear aim. A ship sort of comes with one -- Go here, safely, by this date. Don't run into anything, etc.

Architectural Review requires the same aim. What do you want your community to look like? What were the design principles used when you built? Do you want to preserve them? How does coherent design affect resale value? Etc.

Aims are hard. Most of us don't take the time to define them and a new community probably doesn't have the knowledge yet to define a thorough one. You don't know what you like or what you can't live with yet. The possibilities, good and horrid, have yet to be revealed.

Start by steering through the icebergs and the jet skis. Pictures help.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community