Re: Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:21:56 -0800 (PST)
Karen, I'm not sure what decomposed granite is. In my part of Canada (the prairies), we use what we call 'pea gravel' for this application. I used it around my own house for 'organic flowing paths' -a good idea, tends to look like a flowing river bed if the edges are treated as such, e.g. rocks, planting beds, etc. in an organic design. The pea gravel is smooth round small pebbles, approx 1/4' to 1/2" diameter, often river washed granite. In this part of the world another material used for paths and parking areas is '1/4" down'( presumably means the same as your '1/4" minus') limestone. This is broken, not rounded, small limestone pebbles that go down in size to dust. This tends to pack and harden after several rains (unlike pea gravel which stays loose and contains no dust). This is a much harder surface but could track into the house a little (not a lot)

Re/ your second question: What is often used here for the purpose you describe (a drivable surface that looks like a lawn) is a concrete block made for that purpose. It is about 25% concrete and 75% voids that earth & grass can be planted in. Viewed at an angle you see primarily grass but it is strong enough for trucks.
Hope this helps
James

Karen Scheer wrote:
Hello cohousing friends!

Our cohousing group here in Ashland is getting very busy finalizing the landscape plans. In designing our pedestrian paths, we would like to create organically styled (flowing around natural contours and human movement, ie. not linear) pathways that would create areas for gardening, privacy and play in our common outdoor space. Our landscape architect is suggesting 1/4 minus Decomposed Granite (DG) for the pathways. There is some concerns about this material and how well it will work. Does it tend to track into homes and other places? Does it need a lot of repairs to prevent muddy spots? Does anyone have any experiences with this or suggestions for other materials to consider?

Also, we are looking at ways to make the "driveway" past the parking area pervious (rather than paved) so that water can flow through and we can have an open grass lawn. This area needs to be able to support the weight of the occasional car or fire truck so we are planning to reinforce it with a material that is being described as "egg-crate" below the surface of the grass. If anyone has any experience with this type of pervious surfacing or other suggestion we would love to know more about it.

I'd like to wish everyone a very peaceful holiday season filled with presence, magical moments & laughter. Reading the emails that come in through this list everyday, I am inspired by who you all are and your commitment to community.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

-Karen Scheer
Fordyce Street Cohousing Community
Ashland, Oregon