Re: RE: Are meals an optional or required work expectation inyour community?
From: John Beutler (jbeutleradelphia.net)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:23:26 -0800 (PST)
Eno Common's system is a good deal like Liberty Village's. We have cook teams of usually 4 people. Some folks don't get scheduled as cooks if their schedules are problematic- we have a number of night shift nurses who aren't all able to participate every 4 month planning cycle. We usually have veggie options

Of course, not yet having a common house is a big missing piece for us, but we'll get there eventually. We have 6 community meals a month. In addition, we have developed a system of "pods" which are smaller groups which eat together on an irregular basis. Mine, the famed Bean Pod, does a dinner about once a week to every 10 days. There are 3 families in it who rotate cooking.

We've tinkered with our format here and there. In summer, we'll do BYOM (bring your own meat) dinners where everything else is provided. These are usually at our picnic tables if the weather cooperates. Recently we tried a BYOF (bring your own food) to accommodate a member with serious food allergies and no one showed, but usually we have 25-30 folks at meals, which is about half of the population. No sign ups or charges, but it usually works out pretty well. On weekdays we often have KISS dinners (keep it simple sweetie, or whatever) which tend to be less fancy - sometimes soup and salads.

None of this is linked to community work, which is also not accounted for strictly, but seems to get done.

Cheers

JAB