Re: re: powerpoint presentation/Attractiveness of the CoHousing concept to many..
From: Martin Sheehy (martinsheehyyahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:35:42 -0800 (PST)
This I found while surfing on Google ( suggesting to me at least that this
CoHousing concept should prove seductive to many ):

  From a Google Group:

  There has been much interest of late in retirement, assisted-living,
catered-for-your-lifestyle & cohousing communities-neighborhoods
exclusively for Gay & Lesbian
single and partnered couples.

  These would be built in areas of North America that have shown
themselves to be ` open ` to such communities/ventures.
Areas such as MS, AL, GA, LA, AZ, NM, NV, CA dare I say it---even
TX, etc. would be options where, with careful planning, the land,
building costs, living costs, etc. are reasonably inexpensive. ( "
Sister "-forgive the word-communities for beach bums, sailors,
RVers,
etc. might be feasible in coastal Sonora ( e.g. San Carlos, Kino Bay) &
  Baja California ( e.g. Loreto, La Paz), MX. and
some sort of monitored swapping/exchange of housing could be arranged
between the various communities' owners---variety being, as they say-
the " spice of life ".)
  For the most part, sunnier climes would be favored.
  The communities would be marketed to maturer Gays & Lesbians through
mailings, the Internet ( Groups on Yahoo!, Google, MSN, etc. known to
be favored by ` alternative lifestyle ` guys & gals), through TV,
thru' CoHousingUSA.org., radio, print ads, word-of-mouth, etc.
  Both single residences, condos, shared and fractional ownership, time-
share ownership & assisted-living facilities would be explored.
  Businesses & professionals ( e.g, Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants,
maintenance folks, police, firemen, etc.) who are of like ilk to
ourselves would be recruited to live in or, near, & give their professional
services to these communities.
  Considering our benefit to some smaller towns & cities across America
(& MX) and the potential added value to these regions, our presence
would
be welcomed.
  This is a feasibility study, and is directed at folks who might have
an opinion on these matters & who might, given the right set of
circumstances, be interested in ownership, renting, leasing, part-time
living, etc. in such communities.
  The Doctor behind this invitation for input is Dr. Chris Cronin ( MD,
MBA) &
your opinions/ideas/comments are invited, nay, solicited, to:
  ( InfoRxMe... [at] yahoo.com )
  OR,
  ( faustus... [at] gmail.com )
  I thank you for your interest and time,
  Yours in Fellowship,
  Chris.
  January 11th. 2006.

Raines Cohen <rc3-coho-L [at] raines.com> wrote:
  On Mar 9, 2006, at 7:56 AM, Laura Fitch wrote:
> I'd love to have out presentation available as a download. I
> offered this to cohousing.org a long time ago, but they never
> followed up on it. I should update it a little more.

Laura,

We'd love to have it too, and with the recent site revamp, we think
we've got just the place for it. We'll follow up off-list on the
logistics, as we always want to make sure valuable resources like
this get posted with proper attribution, credit, context, and
appreciation, as well as clear terms of use / license arrangements...
for instance, a Creative Commons (http://www.creativecommons.org/ )
"some rights reserved" type of license that lets people take pieces
of it to create their own presentations... so long as they contribute
back what they create so the pool keeps growing. Something like this
can be a powerful carrot, and cohousing can be a great context for
sharing and helping each other, between as well as within communities.

Raines Cohen, boardmember, Cohousing Association of the United States
(Coho/US)

Still settling in at Berkeley (CA) cohousing, where our cat-sitters
have already visited the community... for a house concert by a band
that includes another community member. Small World!

Finally getting around to selling my studio loft condo at Swan's
Market Cohousing in Oakland: the first resale in three years! First
voluntary resale in the community's whole six years in residence!
North America's most urban cohousing community, 12 minutes subway
from downtown San Francisco: http://www.swansway.com/

Also: we're gearing up to visit Austin (TX) this weekend for the SXSW
conference, and hopefully meeting up with some cohousers there; next
week, Betsy and I are off to Anaheim (CA), where we're coordinating a
booth all about "Aging In Community" at the American Society on Aging/
National Conference on Aging joint conference, and arranging
appearances by Senior Cohousing book author Chuck Durrett of The
Cohousing Co.