Re: Question about Reserve Funds
From: Martin Sheehy (martinsheehyyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:46:43 -0800 (PST)
I wonder if CoHousing Communities member(s) should not join AAII/Am. Assoc. of
Individual Investors and/or BI/Better Investing ( formerly NAIC/National
Association of Investment Clubs) which entities give advice on
investing...across the ages[ at a very cheap price.]
  ----Martin

Steve Gere <sgere [at] pacbell.net> wrote:
  Hello everyone,
I am Steve Gere and am part of the Berkeley cohousing community. We are
currently going through our every 4 year update of our reserve study.
One of the elements of the study is the premise of how much the funds
earn after taxes. Thus, our investment strategy is part of this review..
Last year, we decided to invest our reserve funds in a diverse portfolio
of money market funds, community loan funds, mutual funds and bond funds
that we all agreed had a low risk of loss of principal. We are
revisiting this decision this year and some of our members are
uncomfortable with the risk associated with loss of principal. We
realize that most of the advice we can find is that condo association
reserve funds says that this money should all be in cd's and money
markets. The author of the Complete Guide to Reserve Funding & Reserve
Investment Strategies is pretty adamant about this.
I am writing to you to see if there are any other communities that
invest their reserve funds in anything other than cd's and money
markets. If so, are you willing to share that information either on the
list or via email?
Thanks in advance and Happy Friday,
Steve