Re: Right of First Refusal
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 05:43:26 -0700 (PDT)
I'm not sure that rights of first refusal are all that common in cohousing. Are they?

We didn't include one in our CC&R's. My sense is that anyone buying a home here would be making the conscious choice to buy into the community. Our neighborhood is VERY obviously community oriented -- 24 homes pretty tightly clustered on 360 acres. Anyone wanting to live in rural southwest Colorado, but not wanting to live in community would certainly not buy a home at Heartwood.

Furthermore, our community has a policy of self selection. So assuming anyone wanting to buy a home here is looking for community, we leave the choice to them to figure out if they think they'll be a good fit. It seems to me that a right of first refusal is to some extent a contradiction to the principle of self selection. I should note that although we do follow a policy of self selection, we do require all potential new members to complete a Prospective Member Checklist, which basically helps to ensure that they have carefully considered living at Heartwood by spending time here, reading our agreements, etc. If you're curious, that checklist can be found at:
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com/AGREEMENTS/MEMAP.html

So far I think the checklist has served us very well and I sure hope that we never end up regretting not having a right of first refusal. I don't think we will.

Cheers,
Mac

P.S.  Congratulations on your new community!

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado