Looking for co-owner(s) for a great house in Shadowlake Village
From: John Imbur (john_imburhotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:26:23 -0700 (PDT)
I have a five bedroom three bath house at Shadowlake Village that can be effectively (if not technically) divided into two separate units... a three bedroom two bath upper two floors with woodstove and spacious open design living/dining/kitchen area along for as low as $167k... a separate two bedroom one bath apartment with a kitchenette in the basement for as low as $111k. It is on a gorgeous wooded fenced in lot with great views in a community teaming with children in a quiet college town. We have over 17 acres of woods (and 33 total) with trails and a 150 acre park owned by the town immediately contiguous.

I am looking for one (or more) persons looking to get into a great co-housing community who are willing to think outside of the box and save a fair amount of money in the process. The upstairs two floors with its three bedrooms and two baths would be ideal for a family (or even two single people/friends looking to downsize) and the basement apartment would be great for a couple. The size of the stake in the house would be contingent on whether there was a complete division or some shared amenities and which part of the house one lived in. Asking price for the upper two floors and its three bedrooms and two baths would be approximately $167k for a 60% stake in the house (with some sharing of the main floor) or $185K for a 66% stake in the house (with the upstairs a completely separate unit from the basement "apartment"). A similarly specc-ed house just sold for $250k, so this would be an effective savings of $65-85k.

In the scenario with two single people (perhaps people nearing retirement looking to downsize), each would have a great space in a great community each with their own a private bedroom and bath for only $84k each for a 30% stake with some sharing of the main floor or $93k each for a 33% stake making the upstairs a private unit from the basement.

Anyway, if you're looking to get into co-housing affordably and you are willing to think outside of the box (or know someone else who may fit this model) contact John Imbur at john_imbur [at] hotmail.com or on my cell at 434-882-1181. Visit our website at www.shadowlakevillage.org

I would also consider selling the house outright, but my preference is to try to find people to co-own the house with first. Shadowlake Village is an awesome community and I want to stay an owner, but as a single guy I don't need such a huge house. My preference is for me to keep the basement.