Re: Subject: Re: Making 'Clean Energy' Pay
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 08:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 14, 2006, at 11:02 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

My friends say that calculating the Return on Investment and the Pay
Back period depend on lots of assumptions and variables, but the simple
scenario (how much did we pay? how much does that investment save us?)
comes out to payback in around 18 years. On a strictly financial basis,
you can do a lot better. But of course if you value saving the Earth,
then this kind of investment makes sense on more than a strictly
financial basis.

Actually this whole question is one of accounting. Not all the costs of creating "dirty energy" are charged to its creation. Most corporations creating this energy are highly subsidized by other government funding. They have only recently begin even cleaning up after their direct waste.

Every once in a while I think about what I would be if I had it all to do over again. Accountant is one that comes up frequently. I don't have the aptitude for statistics or the memory for figures that is required but it is a very important subject.

"How much does this really cost" depends on your world view. Are you looking at your monthly or yearly budget or at the world budget?

That said, our community decided not to participate one energy program because it seemed more like charity for the renewable energy company than an investment in renewable energy. Renewable energy companies should be as fiscally responsible and economically sustainable as they say their products are.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
http://www.sociocracy.info