Re: So what does it cost?
From: Becky Weaver (beckyweaverswbell.net)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:34:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Fillard,

  Your calculations sound pretty good. I don't think you're missing any of the
big pieces.

  A useful rule of thumb that has proved to be true for my community - though
not for the reasons we thought - is that cohousing homes will end up costing
about what non-cohousing homes cost in a particular location, plus 10 to 15%
for the common facilities.

  This does not make intuitive sense - after all, *we* don't want McMansions
and granite countertops such as are being installed in our favorite
neighborhoods.

  But the reason developers build the granite-countertopped McMansion is often
to justify/recoup a high cost of development in a particular area.

  This high cost may be the result of many, many things that are not
immediately obvious. It may be a environmental issue, it may be a powerful
neighborhood association that will force you to make expensive concesssions in
order to get their approval, it may be municipal restrictions. It may be
something I have not run across yet. It is usually not one single thing with a
big price tag. It is usually 1000 things with small price tags. But, if you see
a fabulous piece of land and someone's putting in $400K condos across the
street, you can assume that regardless of the land price, your final cohousing
unit price will probably be $400 K plus or minus some smallish fraction of that
- say $50 K. Smart choices and a good project manager may help you hit the
lower end of that number, choices that seem like a good idea at the time may
help you hit the higher end.

  This is quicker and easier than undertanding cost factors. Having said that,
I understand that people who are interested in developing cohousing from the
ground up *want* to understand the cost factors. I certainly do. You might use
this rule of thumb to reality-check your spreadsheet. If it's way off, the
thing that's likely to be erroneous is your spreadsheet.

  Becky Weaver
  Kaleidoscope Village/Central Austin Cohousing
  Austin, Texas

Fillard Rhyne <fillard [at] hevanet.com> wrote:
  Hey cohousers,

What are the classic "big costs" that a new cohousing group is likely to be
unaware of, or to grossly miscalculate, when its members are still in the
"dreaming about properties" stage?

A man becomes his attentions. His observations and curiosity, they make and
remake him.
--William Least Heat Moon