Re: Mandatory meals participation
From: Amy Bridge (AmyBmwsteele.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 19:45:03 -0800 (PST)
Ok

 -----Original Message-----
From:   R.P. Aditya [mailto:aditya [at] grot.org]
Sent:   Friday, December 01, 2006 07:09 PM Pacific Standard Time
To:     Cohousing-L
Subject:        Re: [C-L]_ Mandatory meals participation

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 03:42:55AM +0000, R.P. Aditya wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 01:24:32PM -0500, Tree Bressen wrote:
> > I think yours might be the first cohousing community i've heard of that has
> > 4-5 meals per week without requiring everyone to contribute.  Can you say
> > more about what you think led to that success?
> - and the longer you labor in the meal program, the better you get at it!

I can confirm that it is no idle speculation in our community that meal work
has become more popular over time as we just completed our thrice-yearly work
survey (which asks members to express a preference for the various jobs
available to do in our community) and the most desired jobs in order of
"weighted" preference (average preference - on a scale from -2 to +2 - times
the number of people expressing a positive preference for the job) are:

42 - meal cleaner once a month
27 - weekday meal assistant cook
26 - light duty snow shoveller
24 - sunday meal assistant cook
23 - meal cleaner two times a month
23 - Common House sitting and guest room cleaner
18 - Common House laundry room cleaner
17 - meals billing person
16 - weekday meal head cook
11 - sunday meal head cook

the only meals jobs that rank in the top twenty of least desired jobs are
weekday head cook three times a month and sunday head cook three times a
month.

For this upcoming work season, which will be from January through the end of
April, 2007, there are 88 different jobs to choose from representing a total
of 468 hours per month. We have 60 adult members who participate in the work.

Please let me know if you want more detail...

Thanks,
Adi