Re: Affordability?
From: David Heimann (heimannworld.std.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:04:28 -0700 (PDT)
Hello April and discussants,

We managed at Jamaica Plain Cohousing to establish an affordable community (that's relatively speaking of course, we're in Boston!), in the sense that a large fraction of our households have median or lower household incomes. What we did is very similar to what Robert Heinrich mentions: very few unit plans, limited options, no customization, a building liaison to the contractor (and a household liaison to that liaison!), pooling our questions and discussions, etc. Considering a number of major unexpected expenses that hit us, it's probably the only reason we got our units built at a cost reasonably comparable to the average in Boston. What we also did was to create an affordability fund with money put forward by a number of households in the community to help some of the other households to make it in.

Most likely affordability will require both -- very standardized planning to keep the costs down and an affordability fund to help households over the hump. However, I imagine Albany is an easier place to make something affordable than is Boston. All the best!

Regards,
David Heimann
JP Cohousing