Re: sociocratic consent - a question
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:27:20 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, we've thought of "just trying it" too. But we aren't sure what "it" is. We're in need of a fairly thorough description of how this flavor of consensus-like decision making might operate in a cohousing-like context.

Some considerations before we jump in: What do you do when there is unresolvable conflict on some issue? What is it that presumably makes sociocratic decision-making go quicker with less nitpicking compared to typical cohousing-style consensus? What are the ways we could misunderstand it, do it poorly during our little trial period, and then give up on something that might have worked well for us with better knowledge? An uninformed "just try it" seems like it could easily lead to "no thanks!"

Also, I'd still like to get someone's view (someone with experience) as to whether sociocratic decision-making can work just as well with or without the sociocratic organizational construct, or is there something about the org structure that makes it work much better? My guess is that it could be used on its own, but really I am guessing because as I said before, what is "it" exactly?

If the new book answers these questions, I will buy it ASAP! But if the book is really aimed in a different direction and doesn't address soc. within the dynamics of an organization similar to an up-and-running cohousing community, then it doesn't seem like it would be sufficiently useful. The table of contents doesn't help. I would love to know about that.

  Muriel Kranowski
  Shadowlake Village
  Blacksburg, VA