Re: [C-L] Walking Lightly
From: Brian Bartholomew (bbstat.ufl.edu)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:14:38 -0700 (PDT)
Kerry Strayton <kstraytonyahoo.ca> writes:

> The pollution caused by shipping in Vancouver, British Columbia is a
> major problem. A half of all heavy particulate pollution in the city
> is caused by the heavy fuel oil burned by cargo ships and passenger
> cruise liners.

Hmm, thanks!  I didn't know that the busiest seaport in Canada, and
the exporter of more cargo than any other port in North America, has a
smog problem from ships.  Maybe this is a problem from concentration,
like the stack-ups over big airports, and a better approach is a
larger number of smaller ports.

| Ships burn some of the dirtiest fuel in the world

That makes sense to me, as ships are best able to spread the pollution
out where it won't overwhelm the local environmental recycling
processes.  Maybe Cousteau's clever wind-powered ship technology will
become interesting again.
                                                        Brian