Re: condos vs cohousing
From: Catya Belfer-Shevett (catyahomeport.org)
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:23:38 -0800 (PST)
Hi Liz,

In Massachusetts, we went the 40b route, which meant that because we did 25% affordable housing at our expense, we got to do clustering. I don't know what if any laws NH has that are similar.

I don't think that pursuing cohousing vs condo is going to get you anywhere if you have to convince more than a couple of people.

You might be better served by talking about land use. In your case, you're putting fewer housing units on the land than the zoning would allow - 18 instead of 40 if I read correctly, which means lower impact on roads and schools.

You might also be able to argue it's good for the town if you deed restrict the rest of the land as not developable, or offer to donate some large chunk of it outright to the town.

To convince a town meeting, you're going to need to tell them what's in it for them versus McMansions - a park for their kids? Fewer units? Lower school impact? Less traffic? They are not going to care about cohousing vs condos, and the more you make it "different" the more NIMBY you're likely to get.

Best of luck,

        - catya

--
                            ____
Catya Belfer-Shevett    ____\  /     Cohousing in MA?

In Lyme, NH we (Pinnacle Project) own 120 acres. It is zoned rural residential with a 3 acre minimum, but there are other restrictions (road frontage, wetlands, slope, etc) that limit the MacMansions we would build (if we can't get the zoning permissions we want we have to protect ourselves from financial loss) to 7. No limits on how big each of the MacMansions could be or how many people live in them, so long as they have one kitchen.

We are working with a zoning consultant right now to draft some language our Zoning and Planning Board can bring to town meeting to allow us to build one Great House (18 private condo suites - 18000 sq ft with an additional 7000 feet of shared living space). If anyone has any model language or can point us to any resources we would really appreciate it (and I am sure other cohousing projects would too). thanks. liz