Benefit Auction for Coho/US and FIC at 2008 National Cohousing Conference
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:36:56 -0700 (PDT)
This request is from Laird Schaub, who some of you know as the FIC Executive
Secretary. The FIC is the Fellowship for Intentional Community, which, like
Coho/US, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit with a mission to help grow the
broad Intentional Communities movement. Laird is the Benefit Auction
Coordinator for the 2008 National Cohousing Conference - a role he's also
done for some of our past auctions. These have proven a lot of fun and a
great way to share some of our resources while supporting a couple of vital
non-profit organizations. The Auction is held on the night of Saturday, June
14 at the Conference.

This Coho-L posting is our first outreach for donations of fully
tax-deductible goods and services for that auction. The proceeds from the
auction are being shared by Coho/US and FIC to further their respective
missions.

As a special feature of the conference, we will be conducting a
high-spirited benefit auction after dinner Saturday evening (June 14). There
are two ways you can help make this a resounding success:

a) Bring items to donate to the auction--products (how about a jar of Aunt
Polly's award-winning cherry preserves, or a bottle of vintage wine), art
(maybe a silk batik, soapstone carving, or set of hand-turned wooden bowls),
services (anything from a site plan review to a Tarot reading; from
financial planning to a Feng Shui consultation), or vacation opportunities
(perhaps a weekend stay for two at your luxurious  home). Use your
imagination!

b) Bring your wallet--there will be bargains galore!

Proceeds will be split between Coho/US and the Fellowship for Intentional
Community. As both organizations are 501(c)(3), the value of your donated
products or services can be treated as a tax deduction, and we'll be happy
to send you a letter of recognition to that effect.

We are expecting a boisterous crowd and this could be an easy way to promote
what you do or things you support, and at the same time help two great
networks finance more of their programs. It's a relatively painless way to
help us help others find community.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss the best way to offer
something, please contact me at your convenience. Here's what we'll need
from you to present your offering to best advantage:

1. A complete description of the product or service.

2. If it's a service or usage, please give us acceptable times for when the
offer is good.

3. Your phone number (in case the winning bidder needs to contact you).

4. If it's a physical item, will you bring it with you to Waltham, are you
willing to ship it to the conference, or will you mail it to the winning
bidder?

5. If it's not a physical item, do you have an electronic color image we can
use to promote the item, or perhaps a brochure describing it?

Thanks for considering lending a hand. I look forward to seeing you in
Massachusetts. Together we can have a good time and make a difference.

In cooperation,
Laird Schaub
FIC Executive Secretary & Benefit Auction Coordinator
laird [at] ic.org
660-883-5545

 For more info about FIC (the association)
http://fic.ic.org

For more info about Coho/US (the association)
http://www.cohousing.org/association

Over the years, a great many Cohousing Supporters have made some amazing
donations - including many who were unable to attend the auction. Not only
is this a great way for Established Communities, Forming Groups, Cohousing
Professionals, and Individual Supporters to support the
Communities/Cohousing Movement, but it is also draws some attention to
you/your group/company - from a very large gathering of Cohousers.

Craig Ragland

Coho/US executive director
http://www.cohousing.org
craig [at] cohousing.org

Please try email first, include your phone number (w/time zone) - or give me
a call: 425-487-3550 (Pacific)... communicate!