Re: Losses
From: Catya Belfer-Shevett (catyahomeport.org)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:27:54 -0700 (PDT)
The one example that came to mind is Mosaic Commons in Massachusetts,
which is under construction now after what seems like nearly a decade
of a site-search process including loss of a seemingly-secured site a
few years back. Can anyone there talk about what kept the group
together and how the funds spent and invested were accounted for /
affected the final project's budget?

I'm sure all of us have different ideas about what kept us together. Personally, I'd say that we didn't lose vision or hope, and that we struggled -together- through it as much as possible.

The site we'll live on is our fourth site - we have sunk costs from three previous sites going into this one, 6-digit money, including some that i'm pretty bitter about and a lot that we're pretty even keeled about.

In terms of how the accounting works, we basically put it in a line item as a project expense, along with all of the other project expenses. Our fabulous finance person reads the list, so she can say exactly which, but it might have gone in the marketing/membership line item?

Honestly, rolled into the final project bucket? Even 6 digit money doesn't break the bank. (Says me, anyway.)

        - catya

--
Catya Belfer-Shevett   ~   webmaster, www.cohousing.org
www.catya.org   ~   Cohousing in MA! www.mosaic-commons.org