Re: Elevators and exclusions
From: Randy Sailer (randy.saileroit.umass.edu)
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 06:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
The efficiency of buildings depends a lot on the environment. In sunny CA or in the south, it may be cheaper to build on the flat for several reasons: 1) compared to the northeast or upper midwest, deep footings are not required. Where I live you need footings to below the frost line which is something like 48 inches. You get cheap space by digging a little deeper and having a basement.... 2) taller, more cubical buildings (the cubical part is important) have less surface area exposed to the weather (the roof of the first floor becomes the floor of the 2nd, etc.) and are, given the same insulation practices less expensive to build and heat. 3) Town houses (like apartments) can share more wall space, further reducing the surface area exposed to the weather. 4) Building up is relatively cheap compared to building out because you need smaller roofs and less foundation. [Our community did one, two and four. Our homes are all energy star 5+ rated].

The construction of brownstones in NYC is an enormous demonstration of those principles.

Many folks in our community designed their houses so if they become mobility impaired, they can live on the first floor.

One comment about this conversation... There are lots of kinds of disabilities. We are focusing almost entirely on mobility impairment. Others are important too.

Randy Sailer
Rocky Hill Cohousing