Re: Elders vs. Kids
From: OC611NGC (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
In our community there does not seem to be any effort to enable children to be integral parts of our social milieu. An observer can see that there are meetings for adults in which problems posed by children may be discussed, and there are meetings of a "Family Committee" that implies that only households with children qualify as families. The latter is a subset whose focus is to improve the child-friendly environment of the community. No separate group focuses on the desires of the elders, such as better lighting, improved safety, and a common house with indoor unpolluted air.

Thus, children are regarded as separate inhabitants of our community who need to have special expensive facilities devoted to them. The "Family Committee" has a separate budget which draws from our general expenses. I see no effort to enable children to offer contributions to the community in the hopes that they can have a role in providing support to defray some of the costs devoted to them. We have monthly work activities, but children are not part of the picture. Instead, the children are an expense. Most people like the presence of children. However, some of us feel that we do not have a child friendly environment because we adults do not devote a lot of time and energy into child centered activities and we tend to complain about the children.

We already have a large play room, an outdoor play area, a spa, and a swimming pool. But few adults want to get involved in kids activities, mainly because it can be exhausting. At one time, we did have a father who was actively involved in kid's fun activities, but he was chastised for being "too close" to the girls. So now we have those who lament that we do not have more adults involved with kids, and those who terminated whatever activity we did have because it was "too close".

There is a pattern followed in one-room schools where the older children act as tutors of the young ones. This builds self esteem and makes a young person feel valuable. When I was a child and my family had money troubles, we children were expected to pitch in and help wherever we could. We felt valuable to the family. If this kind of pattern could be established in our community, the children could contribute and value our community as much as the adults do.

Leaving the children out and making the adults the sole caretakers of the community breeds an "us vs. them" mentality.

Norm Gauss
Oak Creek Commons
Paso Robles, CA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Villines" <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>