Senior Cohousing versus seniors in Mixed-Age Cohousing
From: Marika MOOYMAN (marika1952msn.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:17:32 -0700 (PDT)
To add to the discussion about seniors in mixed-age communities, I would say
from my experience that the more varied the ages living in community the better
balance and sharing of skills and time, and therefore the more successful and
happier the community.  I am 56, a single parent of a 7 year old, and live in a
community where there is no one over 60 (Ashland, Oregon).  Nine out of the 14
homes are families with young kids, four are singles in their 50s without kids,
and there's one young couple without kids.  Realizing that this is a small
cohousing community, it does feel very skewed toward families with kids all in
the same age-range.  Meaning we're all in the same developmental life cycle
with the same challenges re time, energy and resources required to manage life
with kids. I think having various ages along the entire continuum ultimately
provides more balance: the young need the old and vice versa.  Many of us,
including me, don't have active grandparents in the lives of our children, and
I was hoping cohousing would meet that need.  There's just something about
elder "wisdom."

I also believe, as someone else has mentioned with the insulation project, that
having various ages in the community is extremely helpful in the sharing of
skills.  Even at 56, I just do not have the energy or stamina to do the kinds
of activities that the folks in their 20s are able to contribute.  An all
senior cohousing community would just need to be more conscious of the amount
of physical labor that might need to be hired out.
Marika