Re: Consensus decision making
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:16:54 -0700 (PDT)
My opinions - not "official Coho/US doctrine" - not much of which actually
exists.

Groups that do decide to delegate will learn what effective means to them -
probably through trial-and-error as they live with delegation across
(hopefully) a great many years. I suspect it is mostly about whether the
small group decisions work for most of the people most of the time - and not
speed of decisions, although speed is sometimes highly valued too. Working
for most of the people most of the time is, I think, a "lower" standard than
expecting each decision to be embraced by the whole community. Communities
can decide to empower sub-groups and not require overall group consensus on
some/all of the smaller group's decisions. The whole community can choose to
embrace that smaller groups do make lots of decisions - serving the
community as best they can.

A great many decisions are made at Songaia without attempts to reach overall
consensus of the community - and sometimes these smaller group decisions are
questioned by others, and then require more work prior to implementation.
For example, a small group, the Fabulous Food Folks decides on waht specific
food items are in our common pantry... and lots of people living here simply
don't like (or want) some of our food items for their personal use.

I do not currently eat cereals or granola. If I was asked to agree to buy
each type of cereal - and decided to put my personal needs/wants about "my
food" above the community - I'd simply say "No." If everybody did that, our
food pantry would be much smaller, some type of lowest common denominator -
and our overall program would be impoverished rather than abundant. To seek
consensus on each individual food item we stock would just be silly. As a
result, we usually empower the Fabulous Food Folk to do their best to
balance our various individual preferences, needs, and values... so we do
buy four cereal foods.

I'd urge folks to question the sacred cow of:

"consensus all the time = good"

When the cow doesn't respond with a "moo," you might focus more on what
works and what feels good for most of the people most of the time.

In community, Craig