Re: Cohousing Communities after move-in: A "honeymoon" phase?
From: OC611NGC (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:53:41 -0700 (PDT)
Our community never had a "honeymoon". From the outset, we saw people with expectations see their dreams dashed. In the first year we had a major emotional battle between parents and non-parents on just where to build a children's play area. The fight reached such intensity that it threatened to destroy our community.

We also saw people who exhibited desires of using the community as a vehicle for their dreams. One goal was to turn the landscape into an ultra ecological garden, with native drought-tolerant plants dominated by fruit-bearing trees (an edible landscape). A second goal was to promote liberal causes by using our community as a model of collective living. A third goal was to have the community fully engage in "Awakening the Dreamer" and other "Save the Planet" themes. A fourth theme was to wish for the community to have the look and feel of a Sixties-style commune. A fifth goal was to use our community as a model for self-generating energy with solar panels and to have these panels fully visible from the street. A sixth goal was to inject personal design ideas into the thinking of the community and have these ideas adopted and acted upon. Some goals were realized, if only partially. Others were never implemented.

Some of the people moved out in anger and frustration. Others who stayed now express desires to move out. Unless there is a meeting of the minds and construction of a set of goals mutually acceptable to the community, the expectations of the original members will continue to fester. We have seen emotional upsets arise again and again, with personal desires for power overriding consideration for less strident people who do not have the fortitude to resist.

One major source of friction I have observed is a tendency of parents and pet owners to place wishes for their family in the forefront of their thinking no matter what is best for the community. In their myopia, the welfare of the community is hardly visible. What matters is their children and their pets, whether or not the community is agreeable to their wishes.

Changing ones thinking to "We" instead of "I" is difficult to achieve because it is so foreign to our habitual priorities. But if a community is going to exist harmoniously, less emphasis on "I" and more on "We" is needed.

Norm G.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas G. Larson" <ddhle [at] earthlink.net>