Re: Shared vs Individual Costs
From: Kay Wilson Fisk (kwwilsonbartcommunity.org)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:47:13 -0700 (PDT)
So far, we only have two expenses paid by users:

1) Use of Common House

        a) Process: An ad hoc committee researched use policies and costs on
the internet. Most facilities we found were owned by a city or church. The
committee led discussions on their findings at several community meetings,
and achieved consensus approval after 2-3 re-writes.

        b) Criteria: All events must be sponsored by a Member. Events for
less than 20 people are free. Events for 20+ people are free if the
community is invited; otherwise, they pay a fee; use of the kitchen costs
extra.

        c) Evaluation: This seems to be working well. We have had very few
events requiring a fee. However, we may look at reducing the size of event
that is allowed free in order to increase income and help keep homeowner
dues as low as possible.

2) Use of a Third Parking Space -- Each unit has the right to use two
parking spaces, but we have had two households who needed another space for
a third car. Use of a 3rd space reduces our Visitor parking.

        a) Process: Our Parking Committee researched the cost to rent
parking at a nearby storage facility; they developed a recommendation that
was approved by consensus after discussion and refinement.

        b) Criteria: Our goal is to optimize the amount of visitor parking
that is located closest to the units. The Parking Committee is authorized to
approved assignment of a 3rd space for a $50/month fee (the amount can be
reduced in case of hardship). Two visitor parking zones are defined: most
convenient and least convenient. A 3rd vehicle may be parked in the least
convenient visitor parking zone during the day, and may be moved to the most
convenient zone between 9PM - 9AM.

        c) Evaluation: Not surprisingly, no one has opted to pay the fee so
far, which has achieved our goal.

I hope this is what was meant by "process" and "criteria." I added the
evaluation to help put it into perspective.

Kay
Bartimaeus Cohousing Community
Meadow Wood Condominium
www.bartcommunity.org