Re: When did members join your group?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:25:10 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 22, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Kristen Simmons wrote:

I'm trying to research WHEN members join groups. I've heard anecdotally that
there are big bumps in membership after major milestones such as land
acquisition, permitting, and start of construction. Doe anyone have any hard
data for their community?

One of the problems with this data and the questions that you ask is that you would have to measure at each juncture who left as well as who joined.

Site control means people leave as well as join. One group that failed split completely in half with site choice -- they never got control because they had to start over again.

Although there were regular increases, we had people leaving right up to final contracts -- as well as people joining.

So collecting this data would be hard, and you would have to have data from a lot of communities to be sure it was representative.

It would be easier to get and more accurate if you set up a monkey survey where you asked forming communities to record each month (send reminders) how many people joined and how many left and what were the significant milestones. But by time you had enough data, you would be built.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC